If you are like me, when the cold weather starts to roll around my desire for comfort food kicks into high gear. I always make it my goal to not deprive myself. How do I do it? I take otherwise indulgent recipes and try to increase the nutrient content and decrease the unecessary calorie dense ingredients. Here I looked at a few recipes on the web and then made my own. Don't be shy, add your own flare.
1 cup, Plain Greek Yogurt
2 pepper, Green Bell Pepper (Raw)
1 tsp(s), Chicken Base, Reduced Sodium
3 breast, bone and skin removed, Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, roasted
15 oz(s), Corn - Sweet, yellow, canned, whole kernel, drained solids
0.50 tsp(s), Spices, garlic powder
4.50 oz(s), Chopped Green Chiles - 4 oz Can
0.50 tsp(s), Spices, onion powder
31 oz(s), Beans - White, canned
14.50 container (4 cups ea.), Chicken Broth
1 teaspoon (1.4 g), Garlic Salt
1.50 tsp(s), Spices, chili powder
0.50 tsp(s), Seasoned Salt
0.25 tsp(s), Spices, pepper, white
1 tsp(s), Ground Cumin
3 tbsp(s), Butter - Salted
1 cup, Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat
3 tbsp(s), Organic Brown Rice Flour
Keep this simple. Don't let the roux intimidate you.
1. Chop your veggies
2. Cook and shred your chicken breast. I have become a fan of the crockpot slow cooked method. You can also boil it before you shred it and who says it has to be shredded. If it's easier for you to dice and saute go for it. Whatever your style is.
3. Get your milk out and measured. Trust me you need it prepped.
4. You are ready to begin your roux. In your soup pot melt your butter and add your flour wisking constantly.
5. Slowly add your milk and wisk wisk wisk
6. Add your yogurt and wisk wisk wisk
7. Add your Chicken Base, not your broth and wisk wisk wisk
8. Let this thicken. It should take 5 - 10 minutes.
9. Add the rest of your ingredients
Simmer for 45 minutes or however long works for your schedule.
Top with Onion, tortillas, avacado or whatever your heart desires!
Serve with a lite coleslaw salad and some brown rice if you need to stretch the meal among a crowd.